Friday, July 20, 2012

An Ode to Cheese (And Meat Too!)

Wilbur and I at the Amana Meat Shop and
Smokehouse.  Each of the seven villages had
its own meat shop in during the communal era.
I love cheese a lot.
Cheddar, pepper jack or swiss,
My love knows no end.

I can even remember my first bite of cheese as a wee mouse – a delicious golden curd of cheddar cheese.

Typically, many of my fellow mice are forced to scrounge for old curds in the garbage, but living in the General Store, I almost always have access to some of the world’s best cheese from the Amana Meat Shop and Smokehouse.  Yesterday, however, the store ran out of cheese!

And I was in dire need of some cheese.
So, despite the extreme heat we’ve been having, I ventured over to the meat shop to get some and visit my friend Wilbur, the pig.  Wilbur is one of my best friends in the Amanas and has lived at the meat shop for years.
When I arrived, Wilbur took me straight to the cheese cooler and helped me decide which type would best satisfy my craving.  As he offered his opinions about what cheese I should get, a mysterious door caught my eye.
 “What’s behind that door, Wilbur,” I asked.
“That’s the smokehouse where the Amana people used to smoke their meat,” explained Wilbur.  “After they would cure the meat, the workers would hang it in the smokehouse and dry it out for weeks at a time.”
Wilbur and I peering into the smokehouse where
they smoked the ham after it been cured in the
communal era.
“How did they cure the meat?” I asked.
“Well friend, during the communal era, the meat from the hog was either placed in water mixed with preservatives or they would rub the meat with salt and pepper and sugar to prevent the meat from rotting,” he said.  “After doing that, they would hang certain pieces in the smokehouse where they would dry out for about 60 days.”
“What sort of meat did the meat shop have?”
“The farmers raised hogs for the most part, although they did also have chickens and oxen on the farms,” said Wilbur.  “However, oxen were used primarily for working in the fields and chickens provided eggs.  Pork was the preferred choice of meat because it could be easily preserved and could be prepared in many ways.  Meals were somewhat dependent on the season.  When keeping meat wasn’t a problem during autumn or winter, beef was readily available to residents.  However, during the spring and summer, pork was often the main dish at the table."
The Amana Meat Shop sells a variety of different
and delicious bratwursts.
“Wow, that’s really interesting,” I said. “What does the Amana Meat Shop sell today?"
“They sell all sorts of food,” replied Wilbur.  “The Amana Meat Shop is famous for their smoked bratwurst – always a staple around Oktoberfest.  They also sell delicious summer sausages and a wide range of smoked bacons.  They also sell different imported goods from Germany, like Kinder Chocolates and Alb Gold German Noodles.  And of course, they sell a variety of cheeses.”
'Tis a gift to be simple, 'tis a gift to have cheese.

“Cheeses! I almost forgot!” I exclaimed, realizing I had completely forgotten about why I made the long trek to the meat shop.
Finally after some serious thought, I finally decided the Amana Cheese Curds were the best choice for that day.  I said good bye to Wilbur and quickly
scurried back to the general store so I could enjoy my golden little treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment